An epic chase Western, The English takes the core themes of identity and revenge to tell a uniquely compelling parable on race, power and love.
An aristocratic Englishwoman, Lady Cornelia Locke (Emily Blunt) and a Pawnee ex-cavalry scout, Eli Whipp (Chaske Spencer), come together in 1890 mid- America to cross a violent landscape built on dreams and blood. Both of them have a clear sense of their destiny but neither is aware that it is rooted in a shared past. They must face increasingly terrifying obstacles that will test them to their cores, physically and psychologically. But as each obstacle is overcome it draws them closer to their ultimate destination, the new town of Hoxem, Wyoming. It is here, after an investigation by the local sheriff Robert Marshall (Stephen Rea) and young widow Martha Myers (Valerie Pachner) into a series of bizarre and macabre unsolved murders, that the full extent of their intertwined history will be truly understood, and they will come face to face with the future they must live.
The English is a 6×50’ epic Western led by Emily Blunt (A Quiet Place, Sicario) and Chaske Spencer (The Twilight Saga, Banshee) for BBC Two and BBC iPlayer in the UK, and Prime Video in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, in association with All3Media international. It is produced by the multi-award-winning production company Drama Republic (Doctor Foster, Us), and written and directed by multi-award-winning Hugo Blick (The Honourable Woman, Black Earth Rising, The Shadow Line).
◦ Cornelia Locke – Emily Blunt
◦ Eli Whipp – Chaske Spencer
◦ Sheriff Robert Marshall – Stephen Rea
◦ Martha Myers – Valerie Pachner
◦ David Melmont – Rafe Spall
◦ Thomas Trafford – Tom Hughes
◦ Richard M Watts – Ciarán Hinds
◦ Sebold Cusk – Toby Jones
◦ Writer & Director – Hugo Blick
◦ Executive Producer – Greg Brenman, Emily Blunt, Hugo Blick
◦ Producer – Colin Wratten
◦ Co-Producer – Daniel Toland
◦ Director of Photography – Arnau Valls Colomer
◦ Costume Designer – Phoebe de Gaye
◦ Hair and Make Up Designer – Lesley Lamont-Fisher
◦ Production Designer – Chris Roope
◦ Composer – Federico Jusid